Sunday, October 11, 2009

Coming into the Country which happens to be the city



"I pulled into Navareth, was a feelin bout half past dead.








Just needed a place where I could lay my head." -J Robbie Robertson/The Band








Well I pulled into Phoenix some back, time in well 2007. Lived in an apartment in Avondale, AZ for a year. Then moved to Phoenix, living near the red rocks of Papago Buttes. Red rocks and me go way back, so I rented this apartment for one reason, red rocks. It reminded me of home and a million other things. A few nice saguaros, ocotillo, iron wood, palo verde, brittle bush and the smell of rain in the larrea tridenta, creosote.






It had been hard and continues to be hard...to live in this urban environment. Continued and finished off the RN at Scottsdale Community college and have been working as a LPN now RN- something I know nothing about. I guess what pulled me through was economic need and an English professor, Dr Carol Harrison. Some how the 7AM english 101 was a turning point in both how I viewed the world and myself in it. As Eido Roshi said, "Know nothing, man without rank.", lots of Dogen-esque insights to draw on.




I work in an area of health where medical is usually not the issue, it's the life journey. I talk to people who are broken in one way or another and all the stuff of listening, non-judgement, being open and real in the present moment- things I learned on a zafu in the meditation hall, things I never thought I'd use are used every day. Things from Dogen, Mountain and Waters Sutra, -this is where I live my life now. And earn my keep, a day of no work is a day of no eating.




So I saved some money and bought a house in downtown Phoenix. That's where I'm living and so far writing.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Lithospermum incisum, Stoneseed

        Lithospermum incisum: Boraginaceae - Borage Family forget-me-not family, known as: fringed puccoon, showy stoneseed, narrow-leaved g...